Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Cross hatch

"I like the rose," Kate pointed at the small red rose sown to the side of Pale's mask. "And you've taken to wearing purple." This time the librarian reached for the Rose of Sharon, the Purple Hibiscus tucked behind Pale's ear.

"You're very observant." Smiling behind the honeycomb mask Pale wished she could be with Kate without it. But, a lingering fragrance enveloped the woman. This would need to be a quick chat. "You know I'm fragrance sensitive  Kate so please don't take offense if I don't stay long." Over the past few years her sensitivities had become more acute and as she aged it took longer to recover from the dips on the way to a rebound. Kate nodded, "No offense will be taken. Sorry, I forgot about that. I'll be quick. But if you have to leave ..." She pulled a small parcel wrapped in a plastic bag. "Take this with you, and when you've had a chance to look at it and read it, call me."

"You asked about Swallows. The last time I was in here a family of resident Swallows had their nests right back there." The deep eaves of the restaurant made wonderful places for mud and bits of grasses. "I love that Linda never tried to get rid of them."

"She loved them surely. Not the sanitary standard though, and that did bother the health inspectors. But the lady and the Swallows did what had to be done, and in the end Swallow nests stayed." Pale thought about the relationships between birds and people and a confirming warmth pulsed. It was those safety pins. Safety pins. Silver-haired Raven. Cross-hatcheries.

Kate was careful not to lean in to talk. "Swallows and I have this very close affinity. If I had wings it would be their wings, with a split in my tail for aerodynamics. Anyway, last time I was here what's in that small parcel was given to me by that Swallow family. They literally dropped it at my feet." Pale knew she'd reached her limit of scent. "That's amazing." Reaching for the package Pale said, "I've gotta go Kate. Tres mystery. I love a good story. I have your number."

Outside the air was thickening. Moisture and the first drops of rain caught in her hair, trickled down her nose and under the mask. Pale pulled the red hood on her windbreaker over her head and scanned for the goddess. "You won't find them if you look!" It was the voice of her dear friend, one of the Sweet Sisters. In her mind Pale saw her friend. Right. She will allow herself to be seen when she's ready.

Back in the car, the rain had turned serious. Glad for the shelter Pale reached for the Lemon-Ginger scone still warm. Breaking the tip of it, Pale savored the first bite. Still as wonderful as ever. Sad, somehow, to think the pastry would keep being delicious because the recipe had been carefully preserved. She missed the presence of Molina. Hi'iaka was not yet back and on an impulse Pale fished in her pocket for the pins. "The place is in need of being held together. Pin them into the screen of the front door." Her Ma kept track of where safety pins could do the most practical of magic. Answering Pale said, "Of course!" At the very least the pins would allow common crossings particular to this place. As soon as the smallest of pins was secure Pale felt the breeze and saw the two conspirators.








No comments:

Post a Comment